Monday, April 21, 2014

The Morning After...Woodfiring

It's the morning after a woodfiring.  I've gotten a good nights sleep, my morning caffeine, the second coating of lotion on my heat dried skin, assessed the injuries incurred during firing and gotten a second round of Ibuprofen into my system.  Just an hour away from being right as rain.  :-)


Having now completed our 11th firing I feel like we've arrived at a process that works well for us.  Instead of doing everything in one four day weekend, we've spread the tasks out a bit.  One weekend I glaze everything I think will fit in the kiln and then some.  The following Friday is spent wadding the pots and loading the kiln.  Then after a good nights sleep, Saturday morning the kiln is lit and we  fire into mid-day Sunday.  The weekend after that we unload.  



It's a lot of work but so worth it.  Today, I'll be loading a glaze load in the electric kiln to get one more load done for the the Bluff Country Studio Art Tour next weekend.  I'm a potter, it's what we do - always have one more load to get done before something. 

Have a great week. 

ps - 
Peeking in the wood kiln will begin on Wednesday and it will be unloaded on Saturday evening during our kiln opening party.

1 comment:

Lori Buff said...

I've learned that spreading out the tasks really saves my sanity and my body. It's a smart thing to do.

I'm excited to see your pots.